Sunday, August 03, 2008

Back in the Goofing-Off Grind

Can one be homesick for Miami if one has only spent a week there at a work conference? If one can be, then I am that one. Of course, Miami did not have a cuddly Funasaurus or a Tatum to chew in my ankles, so you know, it’s not so bad being home. But it’s frickin’ hot in Colorado. For goodness sakes, it was cooler in MIAMI. Twenty degrees cooler. I kid you not.

I would like to do a shout-out to American Airlines, because I had no idea that there were any functional airlines left in the world. But I flew out on a Friday morning and returned home on a Friday evening, and both times, the flight was nice and calm with minimal turbulence, we pulled back from the gate early, and landed early. I am going to try and fly American from here on out, despite the fact that I have a crapload of frequent flyer miles with someone else because holy cow, a flight that’s on time. I had no idea such a wonderful thing still existed.

/random big company endorsement

I have spent the weekend catching up on sleep and laundry. And getting sunburned. Somehow I managed to avoid sunburn for a week on the beach in Florida, but give me one afternoon picnic in Denver and I am toast.

I also saw Momma Mia. The music is fun. The scenery made me want to go to Greece desperately. Meryl Streep continues to do nothing wrong, in my mind. Pierce Brosnan made an ass of himself, and I have no desire to see him act ever again. Oh my lord, but he was awful and took himself Very Seriously for being an Abba-singing babby daddy. The movie was pretty cheesy overall, but fun enough if you are in the mood for uplifting songs and delicious views of utopian Mediterranean isles.

I still think I shall be disappointed by any movie that isn’t Wall*E, so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing Mamma Mia, but I'll admit that I'm pretty disappointed about all of the bad Pierce Brosnan buzz. Could they seriously not find a single other actor in Hollywood who had the ability to sing and act without making a total ass of himself?? Sigh.

Michele said...

I haven't seen Mamma Mia yet either and I'll be devastated if Pierce is as bad as y'all are sayin' he is. Because I love that man. Love every Irish inch of him and can't believe anything he does is wrong or bad. No way. Princess, possibly you've just had too much sun? Possibly? :-)

BTW, I'm still laughing over your posts about your trip to Miami. Very funny.

Diane said...

The same thing happens to me - I slather on sunblock while I'm in Maui - then get sunburned sitting on my front porch.

Christie said...

I've been home 4 days, and I am in desperate need of a vacation again. I miss the sun and sand. I did miss my own bed, though.

Heather said...

I want to see Mamma Mia too - have also heard Pierce Brosnan makes you want to cover your ears, but like watching a bad accident, you still keep listening!

As for the sunburn thing...it's called altitude, girl! We're just so much closer to the sun here.